8.31.2013

An Officer's Wife


For those of you who know me and for those of you just getting to know me, you probably already know that I am a wife.  I am not just any wife though - I am a police officer's wife.
Today, I write with a heavy heart.  While my family is spending time together and my husband is safe, a local police officer's wife can not say the same thing.  Today, she buries her husband.  Her world has been turned upside down.  Her life forever changed.  Her two children, left without a father.
I do not know this woman, but I am heart-broken for her.  Since her husband was killed in the line of duty this past Wednesday, I have thought about her often.  I don't know if it's because Brian has been out-of-town this week and I see how incredibly hard it is to do this on your own or if it's just because I see life and family that much differently now that I'm a mother.  Whatever the reason, I have thought of this officer's wife often and have said prayers of peace for her.  I just can't even imagine what she is going through.
It's my worst fear.  As an officer's wife, I worry every time he leaves for work.  I work hard to not let it consume my thoughts.  I know that his job is inherently dangerous, but I trust that he has been trained and knows how to be as safe a possible.
Yet some days, such as today, I can't get the thought out of my mind.
What if that were my family?  
What if I was the one notified that I had lost my husband and my best friend?
What would I do?
Who would I call first?  
Would I even be able to function?  
I tear up just thinking about it. As a police officer's wife, I pray that I never have to experience that, but each time Brian leaves for work, I know he's putting his life on the line.
I understand that no one lives forever, but the next time that you are cursing the police officer who just wrote you a ticket or disseminating your opinion about how wrong police officers are, remember that they are the ones who leave their families each and every day to protect your family.   They leave behind families of their own and, if asked, would pay the ultimate sacrifice.
So today, at some point, say a prayer.  A prayer for the fallen officer's wife, that she may find the strength to carry on, for all of the officer's that are burying one of their own, and for all police who protect and serve.
May they remain safe.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same fears. My mom is a police officer. My blood boils when I think of the coward that shot that officer. I'm not for the death penalty, but in cases like these....I may have to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete