1.15.2014

A Little Perspective

I recently attended a retreat for a group that I'm a part of at work. It's a peer responder group that helps staff members remain resilient after stressful patient related events. Most of the time, it's from complicated care or unexpected outcomes. It's purpose is to treat the second victim in ways that minimize burnout and drop out. It's a truly great program!

What I thought was going to be a retreat to hone in on my peer responder skills, turned into a renewing and revitalizing retreat for me personally.

I've been feeling anxious and stressed. As most Mom's do, I often feel pulled in a million directions. As much as I try to remind myself that I am only one person and that the dishes/cleaning/straightening can wait, I also know that sometimes things need to get done and I'm not always able to play. It's a balance and one that continually strive to find.

McKenzie has been extra needy recently. There are weeks where she does great - actively playing on her own for small amounts of time and then, BAM! She needs me next to her for everything. And I mean like right next to her! Sitting near her isn't enough. You must be on the floor and she has to be in your lap. I often call her my kangaroo and tell her to get in my pouch, because I believe if she could, she would!

I know these moments are fleeting and that one day I will long for her to want to spend time with me. I know that she won't want me to be that close forever.

As I was thinking about all of that one my drive in, the retreat opened with this slide...


I could feel myself starting to fill up. It completely puts things into perspective. Whether we're going through a difficult time in life, or just the every-day struggles of motherhood and balance, these will be the most cherished times of my life. 

I'm pretty sure this says it all. It's all about perspective. If I can remind myself of this daily, then I can learn to see the beauty of all of the these little moments...messy house and all!


4 comments:

  1. I love this. Emily has been a real handful lately -- acting out, misbehaving, and.. for some reason, pooping in her pants (she's been potty trained since October/November). And it's really hard in the moment to not lose my shit; but this is just the thing I need to help me keep my cool and just breathe... Thanks Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! It must be something with toddler's and the full moon!! Believe me...I lose my shit too. It's just trying to recover from it! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Great post! What a wonderful thing to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometime's it takes something like this to remind us of how lucky we truly are!

      Delete