1.22.2014

The time I met a boy and fell in love...

That's when our story began. That's when I first met him. That's when I became one of the lucky ones.

Maybe I'm refusing to grow up but it seems like just yesterday.  January 22, 2003. 

It was a blind date. We both went to different schools. My best friend, Kara, who I went to school with was dating Mark. Mark went to school with Brian and they were friends. Kara had been talking about setting me up with Brian for a few months before we actually met. He had a girlfriend at the time, but Kara would always mention him in conversation and tout how perfect we would be for one another.  I never gave it much thought. 

Then January rolled around. Brian was newly single. There was testing at our school and if you were a Senior, you were exempt from the testing, so we weren't required to be at school until 11.  Kara asked if I wanted to go out to breakfast with her and Mark and that I could meet Brian. I was hesitant, but said yes. 

We all met at Kara's and headed to Einstein bagels for breakfast. I vividly remember seeing Brian for the first time and thinking...what in the world!? He had on an olive green bomber jacket -circa middle school. He had his arm in a sling. I wasn't even sure what I was getting myself in to.  He was cute but his fashion sense was questionable at best. 

Breakfast was uneventful. There was conversation but nothing noteworthy.  I actually thought Brian was an ass. I noticed a large scar that spanned the entire length of his forearm. When I asked what had happened, he responded, "shark bite". Oh, so he thought he was funny.  I never got the true story until later. 

We ended breakfast and drove back to Kara's. We said our goodbyes and headed off to school.  I honestly thought it was a flop of a date - he didn't even ask for my number!  

Later that evening, my phone rang and it was Brian! I was shocked. He had gotten my number from Kara, which scored him a few more points in my eyes. We ended up talking for a decent amount of time and I enjoyed our conversation. He asked me out on a date the following Saturday, which ended up turning out much better than our breakfast date.  He was a really great guy!

Throughout the years, we've had our ups and downs. We've been through a lot. Yet through it all, I've never been more thankful for that morning on January 22nd at the little bagel shop. 

I love you Brian!  Happy 11 years and here's to many more!
Look at the date!  We were on a cruise on McKenzie's birthday!
Little did we know that 5 years later, we would welcome her into our lives!




3 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious about the "shark bite" scar... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! When he was a toddler, he was running and pushed through a glass window pane at his grandmother's house. It ran the entire length of his forearm. Then he turned his arm and pulled it back out, which got the other side of his arm! A bruiser from the beginning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet how you thought it was a bust and ended with love =) Love these type of stories!! Do you have bagels on your anniversary?

    ReplyDelete