11.21.2013

The Thankful Project: Day 21 - Something That's Easy to Take for Granted

Each morning, we get up, shower, get dressed and prepare to start our day.  We often take for granted that we are able to get out of bed on our own, able to shower and dress on our own, and able to care for ourselves.
Working in a hospital has given me a new perspective on the things that we take for granted day in and day out.  Today, I’m thankful for health.  It’s so easy to take for granted.  It’s so easy to assume that we’ll always be healthy.
I’ve seen my share of sad stories – more frequently than I’d like.  I recently met a man who was diagnosed with brain cancer.  The man I saw in the hospital bed, was not the man he once was.  He was confused and combative.  He required assistance for just about everything – eating, toileting, bathing, and walking.
His wife and his family were by his side the entire time. They shared stories with the staff about the man that he was.  They shared stories to remember him.  They shared stories to remind us that the man we were seeing and caring for now, was not the man they knew.
The wife told stories and showed the staff pictures, with the most recent picture taken in August.  It was a picture of the two of them – at a gala.  Both were dressed exceptionally well and looked full of life and love.  She told us that this picture was taken 2 weeks before he was diagnosed with brain cancer.
I thought about that man and his family a lot after that.  It’s incredible to think that in 3 short months, this family’s life has been turned upside down. In 3 short months, this man deteriorated so quickly.  In 3 short months, a wife lost her husband and the sons, their father.
My heart broke for them.
There are hundreds, even thousands of stories like this one.  Although heart-breaking, it serves as a reminder to take care of ourselves, because our health is so important.  It’s one of those things that you don’t realize how important it is, until you are sick.
health
It’s one of my biggest fears, especially now.  I worry about our family.  I pray each day that we continue to be blessed with health.   I can’t even imagine what these families go through, especially when it happens so suddenly. I can’t imagine what I would do.  What if that was my husband?  I would want to be by his side every moment of the day, but I also know that I would need to work to continue to provide for my family.  I would feel torn, overwhelmed and frustrated.
It’s a good reminder that when these families are demanding, frustrated and sometimes outright mean, that they aren’t the same people either.  They are dealing with extraordinary stress, facing the fear of the unknown, and are worried about their loved one.
The toll that illness and disease takes on a patient and their support system is immense.   We may take it for granted each day, but health is so important.
Today, I’m thankful for the health of my family and friends and pray that we continue to be blessed with health and happiness.
thankful project title


I’m linking up with Kenzie over at Chasing Happy for the month of November.
Be sure to stop by and check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Megan...again you have such a beautiful way of writing. I shouldn't be surprised that we both wrote about the same thing today in different ways. Your writing truly inspires me and touches my heart so often! Thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us! And thanks for this post...and it's so true that people change due to their health...so sad and heartbreaking. We ALL need to remember that...thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such kind words. It's one of those things that you don't realize how lucky we are to be healthy until you or someone you know is really sick! It gives the every day aches and pains a new perspective!

    ReplyDelete