11.05.2013

The Thankful Project: Day 5 - A Talent You Have

Calm

I am good at a lot of things, but nothing more so than the other.  I don’t have any quirky talents.  I am not a record holder of any title.  The thing I am good at comes naturally to me.  Others marvel at how I do it.
I’m thankful that, even in the worst circumstances, I am able to hold it all together.  I take a step back and look at what needs to be done.  If I don’t know how to do it, I look it up, I Google it, I figure it out.
That is my talent.  I hold it all together.  I know it doesn't seem like much, but it has helped me immensely in more than one circumstance.

When my sister was in the hospital, I became everyone’s rock.  I asked the questions that no one else thought to ask, I came up with lists of what needed to be done, I obtained access to my sister’s accounts and made sure that her bills were paid, and I worked hard to keep it all together – for everyone’s sake.
Although I’m great at keeping it together, it doesn't mean that it doesn't affect me.  If you ask Brian how many countless nights I cried on the way home, cried in his lap, cried going to bed….just cried in general, he would answer EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT.  You know what?  I woke up the next morning and trudged through the challenges that the next day would bring.  I did what needed to be done each day and knew that I had the evenings to let it all go.

I know it’s not that great of a talent.  I can’t touch my nose with my tongue or wiggle my ears, but what I can do is to keep it together - to be the voice of reason, to be the calm in the storm.
I’m not sure how useful of a talent it is, but it works for me!    What is a talent that you have that you’re thankful for?

thankful project title

I'm linking up with Kenzie over at Chasing Happy for the month of November.Be sure to stop by and check it out!

6 comments:

  1. Megan, are you kidding me?? That's an amazing talent! Not every one can stay strong during difficult moments. You may not see how useful this talent is, but to other people, it means everything. If it's not for people who can see light through a storm, the world would be a negative place. Keep using what God has given you. You make a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very important talent to have. Everyone brings something to the table and being the person of strength is a key role/talent. Keep doing what works for you is what's important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!!! I USED to be that way...until my hubby's mom passed away. For some reason her whole illness and passing away rocked my world and I lost that ability to be the strong one...hope to get it back some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such a sweet comment! It is beneficial at times, but I always said - I don't have a talent that I could win a talent show with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Thats very true! Each of us benefit from one another's strengths!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some things can shake you to your core. I can't even imagine. I'm not so sure how strong I will be when the time comes. It scares me to think of us losing our parents. It's one of my biggest fears.

    There may come a time when you regain it. You rise to the challenge in tough situations and may surprise yourself!

    ReplyDelete