11.01.2013

The Thankful Project: Day 1 - A Person

I'm linking up with Kenzie over at Chasing Happy for The Thankful Project.  For the next 28 days, each posting will be a response to a gratitude prompt that Kenzie provides.  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, so what better way to remember how incredibly blessed I am, than by deliberately writing and focusing on all that I have to be thankful for.

thankful project title

Ironically enough, I've been wanting to do a post about the person I am most thankful for, for quite some time.  I keep trying to find the right words or even the right time.  What better time than now!? Although many people in my life could hold this title, Brian, my husband, is who I am thankful for - day in and day out.

I could write a novel about what I am thankful for him, but I'll start with a few:

I'm thankful because...

He loves me for me.  Through all of my faults, failures, imperfections, and moods.  He pushes me when necessary, yet gives me the space I need.  He reminds me that I'm not always right and helps me to see different perspectives.  He loves me for me, even though I'm not always easy to love.

He helped us become a family.  He gave me the gift of not only being an incredible partner, best friend and husband, but also that of being an amazing father to McKenzie.  He loves with all of his heart, even when his little girl (like her Mom), is not always the easiest to love.

He works so incredibly hard.  He doesn't have an easy job.  He often sees the worst of the worst. Even when his normal shifts and ever-changing schedule would be too much for most people, he works more.  He works overtime, not because we need it to survive, but because he wants to be able to provide for us.  He wants us to be able to live a life.  A life that is debt free and financially secure.  A life that allows us to do things that wouldn't otherwise be possible.  A life that he works so hard for.

He is our security.  He is our safety.  Any situation seems bearable  with him by our side.  That regardless of how it turns out, we're going to be okay.  He's going to keep us safe.  He is going to make sure that we are protected.

He's shared his life with me.  We've been together 11 years in January.  It hasn't always been perfect, but it's always been good.  Eleven years isn't an eternity, but it's enough time - to know his past. To remember the stories. To be a part of his life. To gain another family.  A family that accepted me in as if I were one of their own.  A family that I love deeply and am thankful for everything they do for us.   A family that he's chosen to share with me.

He is witty and funny.  At all times.  Even the times that I'm frustrated with his humor - when I need him to be serious.   He can make people laugh like none other.  He can lighten the mood of any situation. He is our rock, yet also our clown!

He chose me.  That I'm the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.  That I'm the one he chose to start a family with. That I'm the one that will be by his side as we watch our children grow.  That I'm that one that will grow old next to him. That I'm the one that was lucky enough to call him mine.

He is our rock and I am thankful beyond words for every day that I get to spend with him.

10 comments:

  1. Megan! Thanks for stopping by my blog as well! I love this post- all things I hope I find in my soulmate. So cool to know someone else out in blogland is from Baltimore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet tribute to your husband :) I hope he reads this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Megan. I swear I didn't copy your post but it is so similar to mine! We have some amazing significant others :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice post. He is pretty special but you are too and you complete him. I'm glad he chose you and to call you my "daughter".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post! I love the last bullet. That he picked you. So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww.. Thank you! We are all very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are similar! It just means that we both picked great men!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours is out there! I kissed a few frogs before I found him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I'm pretty lucky he chose me...although he's equally as lucky to have me! ;)

    ReplyDelete